During the recent presidential election, much was made of the divide between "red" and "blue" states, or more specifically, the churchgoing habits of their residents. New York may be a blue state, but I feel that this denomination is misleading. New Yorkers don't need to go to church; we get regular sermons on the subway as we commute to work. 9 out of 10 mornings, a preacher will board your subway car and noisily spread the gospel.
This morning, I heard him before I saw him: a rotund preacher whose resonant speech was delivered in Spanish. The sermon, which reverberated loudly through the subway car, was delivered in quite an eloquent fashion, with a few minor exceptions. In between impassioned segments about salvation, the preacher tried to reach out to the English-speaking population of the train, with slightly less eloquent results. "Jesus, he's a guy who love America! Alleluia!"
Thursday, December 16, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is one of the things I miss most about not being a regular subway rider. This performance must have made you feel warm and uplifted. And, just think, when he was done with his sermon, he didn't pass around a little basket asking for money; nor, did he stand up in a marble pulpit and tell you who god wanted for president,or, if you supported a particular piece of legislation, you were headed to eternal fire. What a relief to have a simple "alleluia" to start the day.
Post a Comment